Monday, November 24, 2008

First ER visit, Dylan said "Bad shots! you stop hurting me"

Yeah I had to laugh a little when he said that. I didn't know what to say. I hadn't had to respond to statements like that since he was 2. Oh what a day! No one is ever going to read my blog because they only think I write about the bad in our lives. I promise it is just because Jason has to work tonight and I took some pictures of Dylan on his stretcher. We had to leave Church yesterday cause Jackson was running a fever and acting miserable. We came home and he slept for 5 hours. He woke up a little cranky, but was fine after he ate. Dylan started coughing that night but I didn't think much of it. He slept all night, but came in our room at 7 am coughing non stop. We gave him a breathing treatment and he seemed to be ok for a little while. Jackson was extra crabby and wouldn't let me put him down. That left Jason tending to Dylan. Dylan started coughing more and more. He went and laid in his bed and was screaming that his stomach hurt. I figured he was just tensing up and he just needed to calm down and relax. He slept a while, and woke up feeling better. Jason went to the store to buy medicine. I knew it wouldn't help, but I know he was just doing what he could. He started coughing pretty bad again so we gave him another treatment. It worked for awhile, but right after Jason went to work,(of course) he started screaming that his stomach hurt. I just figured he needed to take another rest so I told him to get in bed. To make it more exciting, when I was trying to comfort Dylan, Jackson came in the room and took one of the cups that was on Dylan's bed stand. Guess what Daddy let Dylan have in his room. Yup! Red Sunny D. Jackson spilled it all over our cream carpet. I thought that me scrubbing the floor was keeping Dylan awake, but even after I left the room he was still screaming that his stomach hurt and now he was definitely wheezing. I knew that I wouldn't be able to get an appointment, but I thought I would call them and ask if I could give a treatment every 2 hours. After I explained to the nurse what was going on, she demanded that I take him to the ER. I was in denial that he was that bad. When I saw the look on the admittance nurse face when she saw what his blood O2 level, I realized it was that bad. She presented Dylan to our nurse, she said that his blood O2 was 88. Yeah, I felt like the worst mother in the world. After they took his blood and stuck this weird toothpick looking thing up his nose they gave him a breathing treatment with a fun mask.

He liked it. I had a hard time keeping him taking it off and playing with it. After that he was breathing a lot better and was finally able to relax. He didn't mind the X-ray. The tech said he kept singing Jingle Bells. He was not fond of them taking blood or the shot of steroids and antibiotics. I couldn't help laughing when he said "bad shots stop hurting me". We had to wait for a half hour after they gave him the shots, luckily Star Wars was on TV. After we picked up Jackson ( My good friend Brandi was gracious enough to watch him for us) and dropped off his prescriptions. We got take out and took it up to Jason's work. I was in good spirits until I got home and saw the mess I left. At least I was able to clean up the punch.


We are looking forward to spending Thanksgiving with my sister and her family in Dallas. We have spent the last few years in Texas, and this is the first time we are able to be together for the holidays. My mom would be so happy. I just wish my brother and his family could join us. I can't believe I haven't seen my second nephew yet. My sister in law is a saint, she sent me this huge box of clothes for Jackson. Her son is a few months older then him, so it works out perfectly. He is defiantly better dressed then Dylan was at his age. My mom and I just went to the Walmart in town and stocked up. I already know of a few things to be grateful for this Thanksgiving. My Great Family, my generous friends, and that the hospital is 2.5 miles from my house and that we have great insurance. Take Care, and Happy Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

Kim-the-girl said...

Wow! What a day! I'm glad everyone's doing OK now. Let me know if I can help!

Family said...

I am so glad Dylan is doing better. That is very scary!!!
He is one brave little boy.

Have fun in Dallas. Happy Turkey Day!!

Katie said...

oh my gosh, you are so brave. i am glad to know that dylan is doing better, but sad about the mess you had to clean up. hope you have a great holiday!!!

nange said...

Kids and illness are always tricky. One minute the doc is giving you a hard time saying you're overreacting, the next they're giving you a hard time for not bringing them in sooner. I'm glad he's doing better--to bad we don't get 'sick days' as moms!